If you believe the statistics published by the NAR, somewhere around 70% of the listing appointments you go on will not be competitive. If that’s the case, your odds are pretty darn good every time you walk in a prospect’s door of getting the listing. Even if those stats are true, what are you going to do the other 30% of the time to win the listing? Even if you know it isn’t a competitive listing situation, why not take an opportunity to put your best foot forward for your client.
A great pre-listing appointment package can go a long way towards earning confidence, establishing your expertise, and winning the listing.
So, what is a pre-listing package?
Quite simply put, a pre-listing package is information about you, the market, their home, and how you plan to sell it. It should be delivered with enough time for your client to go through it, but not too far in advance that they will set it aside and forget about it. I like to drop mine off 2-3 days in advance, but ideally two.
The basic information that goes into the pre-listing package will not necessarily vary from appointment to appointment, but it’s presentation might, depending on the client and/or the property. Have fun with it. Be creative. Let your personality shine through. Remember, you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression. We’ll talk about this more in a minute.
Finally, in addition to the branding and the materials we are going to list below, a pre-listing package is a very unique opportunity, especially in a competitive listing situation, to take of ownership of information even if you aren’t the first to present to the client. How great would it be if, as your clients sit there listening to another agent make their presentation, they’re comparing everything that agent is saying to what they already received from you? You’re winning the listing and you aren’t even there! Unless that agent does something really special, the listing is your’s to lose.
What goes into a pre-listing package?
Your pre-listing package should include enough to help brand yourself, give a picture of the market, and prepare your clients for the upcoming appointment without giving away so much that you’ve got nothing to sell when you get there. Here’s a list of ideas to put in your pre-listing package:
- Personal, and preferably hand-written, note of introduction
- Your biography and resume
- Info and stats on you and your company’s track record
- Social proof/Testimonials
- Samples of your marketing
- Checklists or any other materials to prepare your client for listing/showing/moving
- Step-by-step walk through of the selling process
- Market statistics and reports
- Personal guarantee, if you have one
Going back to our point about creativity from earlier, here is where you can really show your personality when it comes to presentation. Pair your pre-listing package with some snacks or popcorn and soda and make it a date for your clients. If it’s a luxury listing, print it on nice paper and bind it. If, part of your value proposition is that you are particularly high-tech, make it an online magazine complete with embedded video. There is no right or wrong way to do this. Just do it.
Your pre-listing package should set out to do a number of things. First, it should differentiate you from your competition and an expert. Second, it should show that you know the market as well as anyone out there. Finally, it should illustrate how you intend to market their home better than anyone else they might meet with.
Making a pre-listing package an integrated part of your standard listing appointment process will guarantee that you are able to walk through the front door of that listing appointment with a leg up on the competition. Your professionalism will show through and you’ll be that much closer to winning the listing and creating another happy client that will refer you to their friends.